China Backed Out of Imminent TikTok Deal Due to Tariffs, Trump Says

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

The U.S. president said that the Chinese regime would have approved the deal ‘in 15 minutes’ if he reduced tariffs.

President Donald Trump said on Sunday that China was close to approving a deal for the sale of TikTok but backed out due to the 54 percent tariffs on Chinese imports.

“We had a deal pretty much for TikTok, not a deal but pretty close. And then China changed the deal because of tariffs,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One. “If I gave a little cut in tariffs, they would approve that deal in 15 minutes, which shows the power of tariffs.”

Trump announced a 34 percent reciprocal tariff on Chinese imports on April 2, in addition to the 20 percent tariff he imposed earlier this year, bringing the total tariff rate on Chinese imports to 54 percent.

In response, China imposed an additional 34 percent tariff on imported U.S. goods, which is due to take effect on April 10, and unveiled export controls on certain rare-earth minerals.

TikTok is required, under a law signed by then-President Joe Biden in 2024, to divest its U.S. assets or face a nationwide ban. Trump has effectively paused that ban until mid June.

TikTok’s Beijing-based owner, ByteDance, said on April 4 that it had been in talks with the U.S. government on a “potential solution” for the popular video-sharing app.

ByteDance stated that any agreement with Washington will be subject to approval under Chinese law.

Earlier in the month, Trump signaled that he might consider a deal in which Beijing would approve the sale of TikTok in exchange for tariff relief from the United States.

“You have a situation with TikTok where China will probably say: ‘We’ll approve a deal, but will you do something on the tariffs?’” he said on April 5. “We could use tariffs in order to get something in return.”

On April 5, Trump extended the deadline for TikTok to divest from its Beijing-based parent company by 75 days, the second such extension since Jan. 20. He signed an executive order after his inauguration to pause the federal divest-or-ban law while his administration determines the “appropriate course” forward.

By Aldgra Fredly

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Irresolute Resolutions

"We need a government that lives within its means, focused on debt reduction, with strict limits on spending and baseline budgeting."

Afghan Parolee Charged With Terroristic Threat

The case, in addition to a recent shooting of...

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

National Murder Rate Is ‘Lowest in Modern History’: FBI Director

FBI Director Kash Patel said Nov. 26 that homicide rates nationwide fell by double digits compared to last year.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central