Chicago Mayor Signs Order to Block Possible Troop Deployment

Contact Your Elected Officials

Mayor Brandon Johnson directed city agencies not to aid federal immigration crackdowns and urged President Donald Trump to โ€™stand down’ from sending forces.

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson has signed an executive order authorizing โ€œimmediate, drastic actionโ€ to respond to what he said could be a looming military deployment by the Trump administration to the city.

โ€œI am signing an executive order that directs all of our Cityโ€™s departments to protect Chicagoans and not collaborate with federal overreach,โ€ Johnson said in an Aug. 30 post on X.

At an Aug. 30 press conference, Johnson added that his order โ€œaffirmsโ€ that Chicago police will not โ€œcollaborate with military personnel or civil immigration enforcement.โ€

The mayorโ€™s order bars city police from assisting federal agents in immigration or joint patrols, calls on federal officers to identify themselves and wear body cameras, and directs city departments to explore legal and legislative steps to resist federal actions. It also urges President Donald Trump to โ€œstand downโ€ from deploying troops.

โ€œWe will not have our police officers, who are working hard every single day to drive down crime, deputized to do traffic stops and check stops for the president,โ€ he said, adding that, โ€œwe do not want to see tanks on our streets.โ€

The move comes after Trump said Chicago would likely be the next major city to face a federal crime crackdown.

Trump, who has already deployed troops to Washington, has cited a federal statute allowing such actions and said the National Guard could โ€œsolve Chicago within one week.โ€

The president added, however, that he would not move forward without a request from Democratic Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker, who has rejected the idea.

โ€œMr. President, do not come to Chicago. You are neither wanted here nor needed here,โ€ Pritzker told reporters at a press conference in Chicago.

โ€œThis is not about fighting crime. This is about Donald Trump searching for any justification to deploy the military in a blue city in a blue state to try to intimidate his political rivals.โ€

Trump officials have also signaled stepped-up immigration enforcement in the city.

Border czar Tom Homan told NewsNation on Aug. 28 that โ€œa large contingentโ€ of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers would be sent to Chicago. He did not say how many.

Likewise, Homeland Secretary Kristi Noem told the same outlet a day earlier that an elite specialized tactical unit within ICE would be deployed to Chicago โ€œsoon.โ€

By Tom Ozimek

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Exposed: Dem Dark Money Influencer Machine

After 2024 defeat, Democrats, launched Chorus Creator Program, paying influencers up to $8K/month to push party talking points as โ€œindependent media.โ€

Cherished Unalienable Rights

In the USA, the โ€œrightsโ€ of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are written endowments, supposedly, held sacred, and secured and protected by govt.

ANOTHER Private Bill Gates-Trump Meeting in the White House โ€” Why?

The notion that Bill Gates concerns himself with โ€œprotecting Americansโ€™ healthโ€ is so delusional that anyone buying that is too far gone to be saved.

Hereโ€™s What the USโ€™ Security Guarantees For Ukraine Might Look Like

Western security guarantees for Ukraine are one of the main issues delaying a political resolution to the conflict. Russia launched its SMO primarily in response to NATO-emanating threats from Ukraine.

The Cost of Anger

I will not write much here. There are no words I can say. I only wish to remember those forgotten casualties, the unseen cost of the current antagonism in America.

Transportation Secretary Terminates Wind Projects Worth $679 Million

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy withdrew or terminated 12 offshore wind projects across the country that are worth $679 million in funding.

Lawsuit Blames ChatGPT for California Teenโ€™s Death

The parents of a California teenager who died by suicide have sued ChatGPT-maker OpenAI, alleging the AI chatbot played a direct role in their sonโ€™s death.

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trumpโ€™s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

New Trial Ordered for 3 Memphis Ex-officers in Connection With Death of Tyre Nichols

A judge ordered a new trial Thursday for three former Memphis police officers who were convicted of federal charges in the fatal beating of Tyre Nichols

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trumpโ€™s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

Trump Signs Executive Order โ€˜Making Federal Architecture Beautiful Againโ€™

Trump signed an EO to โ€œ[Make] Federal Architecture Beautiful Again,โ€ prioritizing classical and traditional styles in new federal govt. buildings.

Trump Admin Moves to Cut $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid Funding

President Donald Trump on Aug. 28 moved to cancel $4.9 billion in appropriated funds for foreign aid spending.

Trump Admin Removes Secret Service Protection for Former VP Harris, Official Says

VP Harris' Secret Service protection was revoked. Former vice presidents generally get federal protection for six months after they leave office.
spot_img

Related Articles