Cuba Accused of Using Chinese Tech Systems to Block Internet Access Amid Protests

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times

Cuba is accused of having adopted China-made technology systems to control and block internet access, amid reports that messaging apps and Cubans’ internet service are being blocked in the communist-ruled country after thousands of citizens took to the streets on July 11 to protest against a lack of freedoms and worsening economic conditions.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) warned in a July 11 statement on Twitter that the Cuban regime would “block internet & cell phone service soon to prevent videos about what is happening to get out to the world.”

Later in the day, he wrote: “I warned about this earlier today. It is happening and will continue. … By the way, they use a system made, sold, & installed by #China to control and block access to the internet in #Cuba.”

The Chinese Communist Party is a close ally and supporter of the Cuban regime.

Thousands of Cuban citizens took to the streets in several cities spanning the communist Caribbean island on July 11, calling for greater freedoms and an end to the communist dictatorship. They also protested against ongoing food shortages and high food prices amid worsening economic conditions in the country, made worse by the pandemic.

According to The Associated Press, protesters gathered at rallying points shared on popular social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. Authorities then began shutting down internet services in some cities on the afternoon of July 11 to prevent dissidents from broadcasting the protests live, the news agency reported.

The Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI), a global internet censorship watchdog, reported on July 12 that Cuba had begun blocking WhatsApp, Telegram, and Signal messaging apps amid the protests.

Alp Toker, director of Netblocks, a London-based internet monitoring firm, told The Associated Press that Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, and Telegram had been blocked. Twitter didn’t appear to be blocked, but Toker said that the regime could cut it off if it wishes to do so.

BY MIMI NGUYEN LY

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Thinking Conservative
The Thinking Conservativehttps://www.thethinkingconservative.com/
The goal of THE THINKING CONSERVATIVE is to help us educate ourselves on conservative topics of importance to our freedom and our pursuit of happiness. We do this by sharing conservative opinions on all kinds of subjects, from all types of people, and all kinds of media, in a way that will challenge our perceptions and help us to make educated choices.

Debt remembered and debt ignored

Memorial Day compels Americans to confront a word we avoid: debt— the kind carved into headstones at Arlington and cemeteries across the country.

When Coincidence Ceases to Persuade

Democratic leaders, media, celebrities, and elites contributed to a climate where political violence against one side of America feels increasingly justified.

Prize Deep State Heifer Meghan McCain vs. ‘Body Shaming’

Gluttonous cookie monster Meghan McCain condemns Megyn Kelly’s ‘body shaming’ of fellow glutton Lena Dunham in show of bipartisan fat solidarity

Alpha-Gal Syndrome Up 5,566% in Ten Years (+ When the CIA Carpet-Bombed Cuba With Weaponized Ticks)

Social media is flooded with reports and videos showing exploding tick populations and mysterious boxes of ticks left in farms and woods nationwide.

Ozempic, What Could Go Wrong?

Humanity often ignores clear warning signs when they conflict with comfort, convenience, vanity, or quick fixes.

US Urges G7 to Adopt Tougher Sanctions on Iran, While Europe Pushes to End the War

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent used this week’s G7 finance ministers’ meeting in Paris to urge allies to intensify economic pressure on Iran.

Trump to Posthumously Award ‘Man in the Red Bandana’ the Presidential Medal of Freedom

​President Trump will posthumously award 9/11 hero Welles Crowther, the “Man in the Red Bandana,” the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

NASCAR Cup Series Champion Kyle Busch Dies at 41 After ‘Severe Illness’

Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch has died at the age of 41, after being hospitalized earlier this week with an undisclosed illness.

Federal Judge Dismisses Criminal Charges Against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

A federal judge in Tennessee dismissed criminal human smuggling charges pending against Kilmar Abrego Garcia on the grounds of vindictive prosecution.

Trump’s Triumphal Arch Approved by Federal Commission

A commission has approved President Donald Trump’s triumphal arch just outside of Washington, a key step toward making the project a reality.

Trump Details Military Complex Above and Below New White House Ballroom

Trump says planned White House ballroom will be the “safest building ever built,” serving ceremonial and national security purposes.

Senate Confirms 49 Trump Nominees, Including Key Energy Officials

The Senate has confirmed 49 nominees selected by President Trump, including officials tapped to oversee federal land management and energy policy.

Trump Heading to China for High-Stakes Summit With Xi

President Trump is set to depart Washington for China, where he will meet with Chinese leader Xi Jinping for a high-stakes summit.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central