House to Vote on $3 Billion in Funding to Remove Chinese Telecom Equipment From US Networks

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

American telecom networks made headlines recently as intelligence officials confirmed ongoing Chinese state-backed hacking activities targeting the networks.

The House of Representatives is set to vote this week on an annual defense bill, which includes $3 billion to remove Chinese telecom equipment from American wireless networks.

The 1,800-page update to the National Defense Authorization Act was published on the evening of Dec. 7, increasing funding for networks’ reimbursement under the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act from $1.9 billion to $4.98 billion, matching an estimate provided by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Originally passed in 2019, the act prohibits equipment and services that pose a national security risk from entering U.S. networks—chiefly targeting technology by Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE. It included the reimbursement fund to “rip and replace” technology made by the prohibited companies.

On Nov. 26, FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel urged Congress to provide the additional funding, writing that 126 carriers in the United States face a $3.08 billion shortfall to replace the insecure technology.

As of Nov. 20, the agency has received more than 35,000 reimbursement claims and 30 final certifications of applications stating all replacement work had been completed, Rosenworcel wrote.

The networks face a June 21, 2025, deadline to complete this work, but will be granted extensions based on delayed reimbursements. The agency has already granted 118 such extensions.

Rosenworcel wrote that 72 percent of status updates indicated that lack of funding is an obstacle to the “removal, replacement, and disposal” of the banned technology, and 50 percent of networks reported they cannot complete this work without additional funding.

The FCC chair said the funding shortfall impacts rural communities more significantly, and some have expressed concern they may have to shut down portions of their network and withdraw from the process without removing the banned technology.

“Any shut down of network facilities could remove the only provider available,” Rosenworcel wrote, adding that this would pose a continued national security concern.

Competitive Carriers Association CEO Tim Donovan on Dec. 7 praised the announcement, saying, “Funding is desperately needed to fulfill the mandate to remove and replace covered equipment and services while maintaining connectivity for tens of millions of Americans.”

By Catherine Yang

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

The Poisoning of the Mind: How Public Education Stopped Educating

The most disturbing part of our failing educational system is how few care. Failing to educate children is failing the present and abandoning the future.

“Despite” the Truth

Despite signals media skepticism—like “bless his heart”—subtly masking criticism of Trump’s policies and their real-world impact.

Project Anchor 8/12/2026 Gravity Stops for 7 Seconds

Viral story claims a shadowy “Project Anchor” government operation exists above top secret classification, fueling online speculation and intrigue.

Rubio’s Munich Speech Detailed Trump 2.0’s Envisaged New World Order

Sec. of State & Nat’l Security Adv., Marco Rubio, delivered a historic speech at the Munich Security Conference on Trump 2.0’s world order.

Federalism Isn’t a Relic — It’s America’s Political Shock Absorber

The resistance movement in Minneapolis is a glimpse of future conflict over the expansion of federal power, federalism, and the essential role of states.

FBI Director Kash Patel Says Bureau Uncovered Antifa Funding Sources

FBI Director Kash Patel said on Feb. 18 that the law enforcement agency uncovered what he said are funding sources tied to antifa organizations.

FBI Confirms It Received Thousands of Tips in Nancy Guthrie Case

The FBI received thousands of tips related to the disappearance of “Today” show anchor Savannah Guthrie’s mother as case nears its third week.

Executives Sentenced to 20 Years for $233 Million Obamacare Fraud

The president of an insurance brokerage and a marketing CEO were sentenced to 20 years for a long-running scheme defrauding the ACA program.

Billionaire Wexner Says He Went to Epstein’s Island, Didn’t Know of Crimes

Billionaire Leslie Wexner told lawmakers that he traveled to the island owned by the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein but did not know of Epstein’s crimes.

Trump Signs Order Declaring Glyphosate Production as Critical to National Security

Trump signed an executive order declaring the U.S. glyphosate supply, a controversial herbicide, critical to national and food security key efforts.

Trump Admin Looks to Release 2.5 Million Acres of Timberland in Oregon

The Trump admin is moving ahead with its plan to possibly release 2.5 million acres of some of the world’s most productive timberland in western Oregon.

Trump to Host Representatives From More Than 40 Countries in First Board of Peace Meeting

President Trump’s Board of Peace meets in Washington with nearly 50 nations and the EU to coordinate efforts to rebuild the Gaza Strip.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central