Judge Hands Trump Unfavorable Ruling in E. Jean Carroll Case

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

A federal judge in New York dealt former President Donald Trump’s legal effort a blow by rejecting his request for a new trial and upholding a $5 million jury verdict in a civil case brought against him by writer E. Jean Carroll.

Judge Lewis Kaplan on Wednesday denied Mr. Trump’s motion for a new trial or to decrease the jury’s award of $5 million in compensatory and punitive damages to Carroll, who accused the former president of sexual assault and defamation.

The case relates to a civil lawsuit Ms. Carroll brought against Mr. Trump in 2022, accusing him of battery and defamation. She alleged that Mr. Trump raped her in a Manhattan department store dressing room in 1996 and later defamed her in 2022 when he called the incident a hoax.

In May 2023, a nine-member jury handed Ms. Carroll a win in the suit, although it found that she did not prove that Mr. Trump raped her but instead determined that he had sexually abused her. The jury awarded Ms. Carroll $2 million in damages for sexual abuse and around $3 million for defamation.

Lawyers for Mr. Trump, who has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, appealed the May decision, asking the judge to lower the jury award for damages to less than $1 million or order a new trial.

The Trump attorneys argued that the $2 million award for damages was excessive as the jury had concluded that Mr. Trump had not raped Ms. Carroll at Bergdorf Goodman’s Manhattan store decades ago.

In his 59-page ruling entered on July 19 (pdf), Judge Kaplan said he had considered all of the arguments raised by Mr. Trump’s legal team and “found them all unpersuasive.”

“The jury in this case did not reach a ‘seriously erroneous result.’ Its verdict is not a ‘miscarriage of justice,’” the judge wrote, while denying Mr. Trump’s motion for a new trial or a reduction in damages to Ms. Carroll.

Mr. Trump’s lawyer, Joseph Tacopina, did not immediately return a request for comment on Wednesday’s decision.

However, Mr. Trump’s attorneys filed a notice of appeal on July 19 (pdf) against the $5 million in compensatory and punitive damages, and against all adverse rulings found in Judge Kaplan’s decision earlier that day.

Ms. Carroll’s lawyer Roberta Kaplan, who is not related to the judge, said in a statement that Ms. Carroll hopes to collect the $5 million and looks forward to pressing forward with a separate lawsuit against Mr. Trump, which has a trial date set for Jan. 15, 2024.

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Irresolute Resolutions

"We need a government that lives within its means, focused on debt reduction, with strict limits on spending and baseline budgeting."

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

National Murder Rate Is ‘Lowest in Modern History’: FBI Director

FBI Director Kash Patel said Nov. 26 that homicide rates nationwide fell by double digits compared to last year.

Trump to Pause Immigration From ‘Third World Countries’

President Trump said he would “permanently pause migration from all Third World countries” and remove foreign nationals who are “incapable of loving” the US.

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central