Official Chinese Spy Balloon Narrative Comes Under Fire From GOP Lawmakers

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

A growing number of Republicans are calling on the federal government to provide more information about a Chinese balloon that traversed across the United States earlier this year before U.S. Air Force planes shot it down.

A report from NBC News claimed the Chinese balloon was able to transmit data back to Beijing in real time despite the U.S. government’s efforts to prevent it from doing so—a disclosure that could deepen Republican criticism of President Joe Biden for waiting for the balloon to reach a safe location before shooting it down. NBC cited two alleged current senior U.S. officials and one former senior administration official.

In response, Rep. Greg Steube (R-Fla.) told Newsmax that he believes the federal government is “lying to the American people” about the spy balloon. “President Biden told the American people that the Chinese spy balloon wasn’t a security breach. It’s not the first time President Biden was wrong on foreign policy, and unfortunately for our country, it won’t be the last,” he wrote on Twitter.

“It went over military bases collecting information, which we all knew it was collecting information. And they’re like, ‘Nothing to worry about here or see here,’” the lawmaker told Just the News on April 5.

“And then even Democrats started being like, ‘Why are we not shooting this down?’ Then after it had traversed the entire continental United States, gotten all this sensitive information, sent it back to Beijing, then they shoot it down over the Atlantic,” added Steube, a U.S. Army veteran.

Meanwhile, Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), the ranking member on the  Senate Armed Services Committee, said that “we have consistently learned more from press reports about the Chinese surveillance balloon than we have from administration officials” in recent days.

In a letter to  Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, Wicker wrote that the Pentagon should provide answers to questions in an unclassified manner.

“These revelations clearly demonstrate that the administration made an unacceptable mistake. I will not abandon my oversight efforts to discover the full range of information related to this event, and I intend to hold this administration accountable. It is critical that Congress also explore the capability and protocol improvements at the Department of Defense that are necessary to prevent something like this failure from ever happening again,” he added.

The Epoch Times has contacted the Pentagon for comment.

By Jack Phillips

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

“Despite” the Truth

Despite signals media skepticism—like “bless his heart”—subtly masking criticism of Trump’s policies and their real-world impact.

Project Anchor 8/12/2026 Gravity Stops for 7 Seconds

Viral story claims a shadowy “Project Anchor” government operation exists above top secret classification, fueling online speculation and intrigue.

Rubio’s Munich Speech Detailed Trump 2.0’s Envisaged New World Order

Sec. of State & Nat’l Security Adv., Marco Rubio, delivered a historic speech at the Munich Security Conference on Trump 2.0’s world order.

Federalism Isn’t a Relic — It’s America’s Political Shock Absorber

The resistance movement in Minneapolis is a glimpse of future conflict over the expansion of federal power, federalism, and the essential role of states.

Republican Voter Surge Shocks!

"Young and minority Americans, including Gen Z and Gen Alpha, are shifting from left to right, influenced by figures like Kirk, Presler, and Minaj."

Man Pleads Guilty to Assaulting Immigration Enforcement Officer During California Riot

California man pleads guilty to hurling concrete at occupied federal immigration vehicles during LA riots, injuring an officer.

Rev. Jesse Jackson Dies Aged 84

U.S. civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson has died aged 84, according to a Feb. 17 announcement by his family.

2 High-Profile Transgender Surgery Cases Head to Trial

Two high-profile detransitioner cases involving women surgically altered as teens are headed to trial in 2027, raising legal and medical questions nationwide.

New Research Suggests Cause of Rare Blood-Clotting Side Effect From COVID-19 Vaccine

New research published in The New England Journal of Medicine suggests the cause of a rare blood-clotting side effect came from the COVID-19 Vaccine.

Rubio’s Warm Munich Address Carries Stark Warning for Europe

The Munich Security Conference wrapped up, but Sec. of State Marco Rubio’s speech is still making waves in the United States and Europe.

DOGE Says It Helped Terminate Billions of Dollars in New Contracts

DOGE helped terminate hundreds of contracts in the past month or so, providing the first public update on its work in more than a month.

Trump Admin Unveils Maritime Action Plan to Revive US Shipbuilding

The Trump administration unveiled a comprehensive Maritime Action Plan on Feb. 13 meant to resurrect the U.S. shipbuilding sector.

Trump Says US Military ‘Best-Trained, Best-Equipped’ Under His Administration

President Donald Trump highlighted military successes and investments during a speech to soldiers in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central