TikTok Returns to US App Stores

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

Trump remains confident a deal can be made resulting in a U.S. buyer for the video-sharing platform.

TikTok returned to mobile app stores in the United States on Thursday, after President Donald Trump postponed enforcement of a ban on his first day office.

Apple and Google Play restored the popular Chinese-owned video-sharing platform, allowing users to purchase and download the app on their mobile devices.

This comes on the same day that Trump said he could extend his 75-day delay in enforcing a ban on the app that was imposed under the Biden administration.

However, Trump told the media at the White House that he didn’t think an extension would be necessary.

Trump said he believed Chinese leader Xi Jinping would agree to approve the sale of TikTok to a U.S. buyer as it would also be in China’s interest.

12 hours Offline

On Jan. 19, the popular video-sharing app went dark in the United States for 12 hours in response to a federal ban imposed under then President Joe Biden.

The app was banned over concerns that the social media platform collects sensitive data and information on Americans.

The ban made distributing the app through the Apple App and Google Play stores illegal.

Trump delayed the ban once he assumed office on Jan. 20, saying he wanted to give TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, more time to find an approved buyer before the ban took full effect.

The president at the time said he intended to protect the country’s national security while also “saving” a platform used by 170 million Americans.

Trump also credited TikTok for helping him accrue support among young voters during the 2024 presidential election.

Trump’s executive order directs the attorney general not to take any action for 75 days—that is, until  April 5—to allow the appropriate course of action.

TikTok thanked Trump for “providing the necessary clarity” to service providers that they would not face penalties during the delay period.

According to market intelligence firm Sensor Tower, TikTok was the second most downloaded app in the United States, with more than 52 million downloads in 2024.  About 52 percent of TikTok’s total downloads were from Apple App Store, while 48 percent were from Google Play in the United States last year, Sensor Tower said.

By Rachel Acenas

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

An Unseen Tale of Marjorie Taylor Greene

The sudden resignation of Georgia Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has had journalists and political pundits pondering.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Afghan Parolee Charged With Terroristic Threat

The case, in addition to a recent shooting of...

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central