Trump Writes Open Letter to Bolsonaro, Says He’s Watching Brazil Trial ‘Closely’

Contact Your Elected Officials

The U.S. president wrote in a letter on social media that he would be monitoring the trial of the former Brazilian leader.

President Donald Trump amped up the pressure on the Brazilian government on Wednesday and urged it to drop charges against former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, saying that he will be watching the case “closely.”

In a letter directed to Bolsonaro posted on Truth Social on Thursday, Trump said that Bolsonaro has faced “terrible treatment” at the “hands of an unjust system turned against you.”

“I share your commitment to listening to the voice of the people and I am very concerned about the attacks on free speech – both in Brazil and in the United States – coming out of the current government. I have strongly voiced my disapproval both publicly and through our Tariff policy,” he wrote, adding that the trial “should end immediately.”

Bolsonaro responded by releasing a video on X, saying that he had received Trump’s letter and again said that the charges that were filed against him are false. Previously, Bolsonaro has described the trial on X as a “witch hunt,” echoing a term used by Trump when he came to his South American ally’s defense last week.

Also last week, Trump warned that he would impose 50 percent tariffs on all products from Brazil entering the United States, citing the case against Bolsonaro.

Responding to the tariff threat, Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva told CNN in an exclusive interview on Thursday that he will not cooperate.

“Brazil is to take care of Brazil and take care of the Brazilian people, and not to take care of the interests of the others,” Lula told the outlet, adding: “Brazil will not accept anything imposed on it. We accept negotiation and not imposition.”

Bolsonaro, who governed between 2019 and 2022, is standing trial before Brazil’s Supreme Federal Court for his role in an alleged coup attempt in January 2023. He is already ineligible for next year’s election. The former president has repeatedly denied the allegations and said he is the target of political persecution.

Bolsonaro has been declared ineligible to run for office until 2030 by Brazil’s electoral court for abuse of power during the 2022 election, when he narrowly lost to Lula.

By Jack Phillips

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Exposed: Dem Dark Money Influencer Machine

After 2024 defeat, Democrats, launched Chorus Creator Program, paying influencers up to $8K/month to push party talking points as “independent media.”

Cherished Unalienable Rights

In the USA, the “rights” of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are written endowments, supposedly, held sacred, and secured and protected by govt.

ANOTHER Private Bill Gates-Trump Meeting in the White House — Why?

The notion that Bill Gates concerns himself with “protecting Americans’ health” is so delusional that anyone buying that is too far gone to be saved.

Here’s What the US’ Security Guarantees For Ukraine Might Look Like

Western security guarantees for Ukraine are one of the main issues delaying a political resolution to the conflict. Russia launched its SMO primarily in response to NATO-emanating threats from Ukraine.

The Cost of Anger

I will not write much here. There are no words I can say. I only wish to remember those forgotten casualties, the unseen cost of the current antagonism in America.

Transportation Secretary Terminates Wind Projects Worth $679 Million

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy withdrew or terminated 12 offshore wind projects across the country that are worth $679 million in funding.

Chicago Mayor Signs Order to Block Possible Troop Deployment

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson signs executive order for “immediate, drastic action” amid concerns over possible Trump admin military deployment.

Lawsuit Blames ChatGPT for California Teen’s Death

The parents of a California teenager who died by suicide have sued ChatGPT-maker OpenAI, alleging the AI chatbot played a direct role in their son’s death.

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trump’s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trump’s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

Trump Signs Executive Order ‘Making Federal Architecture Beautiful Again’

Trump signed an EO to “[Make] Federal Architecture Beautiful Again,” prioritizing classical and traditional styles in new federal govt. buildings.

Trump Admin Moves to Cut $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid Funding

President Donald Trump on Aug. 28 moved to cancel $4.9 billion in appropriated funds for foreign aid spending.

Trump Admin Removes Secret Service Protection for Former VP Harris, Official Says

VP Harris' Secret Service protection was revoked. Former vice presidents generally get federal protection for six months after they leave office.
spot_img

Related Articles