UK Eyes ‘Walk Me Home’ Phone-Tracker to Protect Lone Women

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

LONDON—A top British government official is backing a phone company’s proposal for a new tracking service to help protect women walking alone, an idea pitched amid ongoing outrage over the slayings of two young women who were targeted near their homes in London.

The chief executive of Britain’s biggest phone company, BT, proposed the “walk me home” service in a letter to Home Secretary Priti Patel. Once a woman activated an app on her phone, the service would track her journey and send an alert to her emergency contacts if she didn’t reach her destination on time, Philip Jansen said in the letter.

The U.K. Home Office confirmed Patel had received the letter and would respond in “due course.” Patel was more supportive in comments to the Daily Mail.

“This new phone line is exactly the kind of innovative scheme which would be good to get going as soon as we can,’’ the newspaper quoted her as saying. “I’m now looking at it with my team and liaising with BT.”

The “walk me home’’ service could be up and running by Christmas, the Mail reported.

The service would complement Britain’s existing nationwide emergency number, Jansen said. BT has run Britain’s 999 emergency number for 84 years and is currently upgrading the system.

In March, Sarah Everard, a 33-year-old marketing executive, was abducted, raped, and killed by a serving police officer who was convicted of murder and other charges this month and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Primary school teacher Sabina Nessa, 28, was killed six months later as she walked through a park in south London on her way to meet a friend.

“I am not a politician, I can’t change society, but if I can use innovative technology to improve personal safety, then I am determined to do so,” Jansen said.

By The Associate Press

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Irresolute Resolutions

"We need a government that lives within its means, focused on debt reduction, with strict limits on spending and baseline budgeting."

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

National Murder Rate Is ‘Lowest in Modern History’: FBI Director

FBI Director Kash Patel said Nov. 26 that homicide rates nationwide fell by double digits compared to last year.

Trump to Pause Immigration From ‘Third World Countries’

President Trump said he would “permanently pause migration from all Third World countries” and remove foreign nationals who are “incapable of loving” the US.

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles