US Military Says 500 Marines Are ‘Prepared to Deploy’ to Los Angeles

5Mind. The Meme Platform

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth’s earlier ‘high alert’ comment drew sharp criticism from California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

U.S. military officials confirmed Sunday that around 500 Marines are “prepared to deploy” if necessary to quell unrest in Los Angeles in recent days, coming as the National Guard was deployed in the city.

U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM) said that the Marines would be sent from the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, which is based out of the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, California.

The Marines are currently “in a prepared to deploy status should they be necessary to augment and support” the federal military mission in the city, NORTHCOM said.

Previously, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said that Marines from Camp Pendleton were on “high alert,” although he did not say how many.

Hegseth’s comment drew criticism from California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who said in a post on X that the federal government is “threatening to deploy active-duty Marines on American soil against its own citizens.”

“This is deranged behavior,” he said, drawing a response from Hegseth on social media.

The Pentagon chief wrote on Sunday morning that Newsom and local officials have allowed Los Angeles to “burn” and “law enforcement to be attacked” by rioters.

“The National Guard, and Marines if need be, stand with ICE,” he said, referring to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

NORTHCOM’s notice came a day after President Donald Trump announced in a signed memorandum that he would deploy National Guard troops to Los Angeles. Officials have said that around 300 were deployed in Los Angeles County on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Trump did not rule out invoking the Insurrection Act while speaking to reporters alongside Secretary of State Marco Rubio outside Air Force One on June 8.

Trump also issued a statement on Truth Social saying that “violent, insurrectionist mobs are swarming and attacking our Federal Agents to try and stop our deportation operations.”

Early on June 9, the president said on Truth Social: “Looking really bad in L.A. BRING IN THE TROOPS!!!”

He did not specify whether those troops would be the on-standby Marines or National Guard members.

Newsom sent a letter to Hegseth formally demanding that the Defense Department pull the National Guard troops, also telling MSNBC in an interview over the weekend that he will file a lawsuit against the administration.

By Jack Phillips

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

An Unseen Tale of Marjorie Taylor Greene

The sudden resignation of Georgia Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has had journalists and political pundits pondering.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Afghan Parolee Charged With Terroristic Threat

The case, in addition to a recent shooting of...

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central