WHO Announces ‘Pandemic Agreement’ Years After COVID-19

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

The Trump administration ordered a U.S. withdrawal from WHO as well as the pandemic treaty negotiations earlier this year.

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced on April 15 that its member states reached a “pandemic agreement,” five years after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, to prepare for future ones.

“After more than three years of intensive negotiations, WHO member states took a major step forward in efforts to make the world safer from pandemics,” the United Nations-backed health body said in a statement.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, hailed the decision, saying it would make the world “safer” and demonstrate “that multilateralism is alive and well, and that in our divided world, nations can still work together to find common ground.”

The draft treaty notably includes a provision to guarantee that countries that share critical virus samples receive any resulting tests, medicines, and vaccines, with the WHO keeping 20 percent of such products to ensure that poorer countries get supplies.

Negotiations on this provision are expected to continue after the treaty is likely accepted by member countries in May.

Countries are already legally bound by the International Health Regulations to do things such as quickly report dangerous new outbreaks. But those have been flouted repeatedly, including by some African countries during Ebola and other outbreaks, as well as by the Chinese communist regime in the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic in late 2019 and early 2020.

Anne-Claire Amprou, a co-chair of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Body, which was established in 2021 by WHO’s member states, said that the agreement will be a “major step forward in protecting populations, the response will be faster, more effective and more equitable” and will bolster “equity and international security.”

Under the proposal, countries will have their own “sovereignty” to deal with public health issues within their borders.

“Nothing in the draft agreement shall be interpreted as providing WHO any authority to direct, order, alter or prescribe national laws or policies, or mandate States to take specific actions, such as ban or accept travelers, impose vaccination mandates or therapeutic or diagnostic measures or implement lockdowns,” WHO said in its statement.

U.S. negotiators left the discussions after President Donald Trump began a year-long process of removing the United States from the U.N. agency when he took office in January.

By Jack Phillips

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

An Unseen Tale of Marjorie Taylor Greene

The sudden resignation of Georgia Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has had journalists and political pundits pondering.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Afghan Parolee Charged With Terroristic Threat

The case, in addition to a recent shooting of...

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central