Rwanda, Congo Sign US-Brokered Peace Agreement in Washington

Contact Your Elected Officials

The two African nations signed a peace deal that will see the withdrawal of Rwandan troops that have supported rebel forces in Congo and killed thousands.

Officials from Rwanda and Congo signed a peace deal at the U.S. State Department on June 27 in the hopes of bringing a halt to fighting that has killed thousands in the two African nations this year.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio presided over the ceremony, where foreign ministers from both nations signed the U.S.-brokered agreement.

The peace agreement is a win for the Trump administration, which has sought to position itself as a peacemaker in the international community.

โ€œThey were going at it for many years, and with machetes,โ€ U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters ahead of the signing on Friday.

โ€œIt is one of the worst wars that anyone has ever seen, and I just happened to have somebody that was able to get it settled.โ€

The agreement involves provisions on territorial integrity, a prohibition of hostilities, and an agreement for the disengagement, disarmament, and conditional integration of non-state armed groups.

The deal also aims to secure for the United States billions of dollarsโ€™ worth of rare earths and other minerals from the region, though the signing of an associated economic framework has been delayed for up to three months from Friday.

โ€œI was able to get them together and sell it,โ€ Trump said of the economic framework, which could grant U.S. companies access to a wide array of valuable resources.

โ€œAnd not only that, weโ€™re getting for the United States a lot of the mineral rights from the Congo.โ€

Rubio described Fridayโ€™s deal as โ€œan important moment after 30 years of war.โ€

Under the terms of the peace agreement, Rwanda and Congo will implement a 2024 deal that would have Rwanda withdraw its troops from eastern Congo within the next 90 days.

Rwanda has sent at least 7,000 soldiers over the border in support of a rebel group known as M23. That group seized two of Congoโ€™s largest cities and most lucrative mining areas in a series of surprise attacks earlier this year.

The fighting has since resulted in thousands of deaths and the displacement of hundreds of thousands of civilians.

By Andrew Thornebrooke

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

The Clinton-Epstein Connection We Did Not Know

One attorney's inside info about D.C. and the relationship the Clintonโ€™s had with the late child sex pedophile Jeffrey Epstein

Faith under fire

Over half of historyโ€™s 70M Christian martyrs were killed in the 20th century, amid totalitarian regimes, purges, and ethnic violence.

Exposed: Dem Dark Money Influencer Machine

After 2024 defeat, Democrats, launched Chorus Creator Program, paying influencers up to $8K/month to push party talking points as โ€œindependent media.โ€

Cherished Unalienable Rights

In the USA, the โ€œrightsโ€ of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are written endowments, supposedly, held sacred, and secured and protected by govt.

ANOTHER Private Bill Gates-Trump Meeting in the White House โ€” Why?

The notion that Bill Gates concerns himself with โ€œprotecting Americansโ€™ healthโ€ is so delusional that anyone buying that is too far gone to be saved.

Transportation Secretary Terminates Wind Projects Worth $679 Million

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy withdrew or terminated 12 offshore wind projects across the country that are worth $679 million in funding.

Chicago Mayor Signs Order to Block Possible Troop Deployment

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson signs executive order for โ€œimmediate, drastic actionโ€ amid concerns over possible Trump admin military deployment.

Lawsuit Blames ChatGPT for California Teenโ€™s Death

The parents of a California teenager who died by suicide have sued ChatGPT-maker OpenAI, alleging the AI chatbot played a direct role in their sonโ€™s death.

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trumpโ€™s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

Trump Says He Will Issue Executive Order to Require Voter ID

โ€œVoter I.D. Must Be Part of Every Single Vote. No exceptions!โ€ Trump wrote on a post on Truth Social. โ€œI Will Be Doing An Executive Order To That End!!!โ€

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trumpโ€™s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

Trump Signs Executive Order โ€˜Making Federal Architecture Beautiful Againโ€™

Trump signed an EO to โ€œ[Make] Federal Architecture Beautiful Again,โ€ prioritizing classical and traditional styles in new federal govt. buildings.

Trump Admin Moves to Cut $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid Funding

President Donald Trump on Aug. 28 moved to cancel $4.9 billion in appropriated funds for foreign aid spending.
spot_img

Related Articles