A Tale of 2 Straits: Global Shippers Prefer Washington’s Version Over Tehran’s

5Mind. The Meme Platform

Increasing ‘dark transit’ traffic undermines Iran’s claim it controls Hormuz, but an Aug. 18 missile attack undermines U.S. assurances of safe passage.

With the recent expiration of the 60-day memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran, there’s little indication either side is backing down from dueling narratives about who controls access to the Persian Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz.

It remains a tale of two straits.

Tehran maintains that the 104-mile-long waterway is closed to ships unless they enter and exit the Gulf through the Iranian Unilateral Scheme, or northern route, that previously was exclusively used for inbound traffic.

Global shippers refute any Iranian claim of sovereignty and Washington maintains that ships are moving through the United Nations’ authorized southern route along the Omani coast, which was formerly designed for outbound traffic into the Gulf of Oman, under the protection of U.S. Navy destroyers.

U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright on Aug. 14 said that between 14 million and 15 million barrels of crude per day were being exported from the Gulf, including 5 million to 7 million daily by Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates via a “shuttle system” in which large tankers transit the southern route and offload to ships in the Gulf of Oman. That’s about three-quarters of the volume before the war began on Feb. 28.

But ship-tracking services such as Kpler, Lloyd’s List Intelligence, and MarineTraffic maintain that those claims cannot be verified because, it appears, much of this traffic is in “dark transits,” meaning without transponders and other electronic navigation beacons on.

U.S. President Donald Trump said this traffic through the southern route affirms that the strait is open for all but Iranian ships, re-emphasizing that the U.S. Navy will sustain its global blockade of Iranian shipping and that it is slowly strangling Tehran’s economy.

“The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” Trump wrote in an Aug. 18 Truth Social post. “The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

There are, on average, 20 U.S. Navy warships in the Gulf of Oman, spearheaded by an ever-present carrier battle group—the USS Abraham Lincoln remains on station awaiting relief from the USS George Washington—with destroyers moving in and out of the Persian Gulf through the strait as a shield for commercial shipping through the southern route.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, in numerous recent media comments, has confirmed that the U.S. Navy blockade, and the economic isolation it imposes, is how the Trump administration aims to negotiate with Iran while the Navy protects shipping on the southern route.

By John Haughey

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.
00:02:22

Young Washington: Movie Review

Sitting in the theater watching Young Washington, I found myself wondering why this story hadn’t been made into a film sooner.
00:02:08

A Movie That’ll Keep You Awake: A Great Awakening

So how does someone (me) who thinks they’ve just seen the greatest movie ever (A Great Awakening), persuade you to watch it?

Ring That Bell

If I could travel back in time to 1776,...

Thoughts On America 250

Before you, American reader, is the honor, blessing, and privilege of celebrating the 250th anniversary of our nation. A nation toward which God has been merciful, shining His great grace.
00:01:39

Citizen Vigilante Delivers the Warning Western Governments Desperately Need to Hear

Citizen Vigilante shows what happens when the state stops defending the native population and shields favored migrant groups while criminalizing native dissent.

Trump to Ease Ground Beef Import Quotas for 90 Days

President Trump will allow up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef to be imported with no out-of-quota tariff for 90 days to reduce beef prices for Americans.

US State Bill May Criminalize Prayers Outside Abortion Centers: Pro-Life Organization

New Jersey Gov. Mikie Sherrill signed legislation on Thursday that can potentially criminalize conducting prayers outside abortion centers.
00:02:14

8 Killed After Charter Plane Crashes in Western Alaska: US Military

The U.S. military said on Aug. 20 that eight people were killed when a charter plane crashed at a remote military radar site in western Alaska.

Trump Tells Michael Cohen ‘They Weaponized You’ in Radio Interview, Praises His Recanting

President Donald Trump appeared on Michael Cohen’s radio show and commended his former attorney for recanting his previous statements.
00:20:06

First Lady Unveils Racing Collaboration, $2 Million in ‘Fostering the Future’ Scholarships 

First Lady Melania Trump at the White House announce $2 million in scholarships for foster youth, expanding her Fostering the Future initiative.
00:01:31

Trump Announces Pause on 50 Percent Tariff as US, Canada Reach Last-Minute Deal

President Trump announced he would delay an additional 50 percent tariff on certain Canadian goods following last-minute talks between the two countries.
00:01:47

Trump Says He’ll Declare the Hormuz Strait a US Territory ‘Pretty Soon’

President Trump announced his intention to declare the Strait of Hormuz a U.S. territory, introducing a new position regarding the vital waterway.

Trade Court Upholds Trump’s Shutdown of $800 De Minimis Duty Exemption

U.S. Court upheld Trump admin’s authority to end the de minimis exemption allowing Americans to avoid paying duty on packages worth $800 or less.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central