At Least 16 Killed in Terrorist Attack Targeting Jewish Festival in Sydney

5Mind. The Meme Platform

Police have declared the mass shooting a terrorist incident.

At least 16 people, as well as a suspected gunman, have been confirmed dead following a mass shooting at a Sydney beach targeting a Jewish Hanukkah festival on the evening of Dec. 14.

At least 38 other people, including two police officers, were injured, according to authorities.

The second alleged gunman remains in police custody and is in a critical condition.

Emergency services were called to Bondi Beach at 6:45 p.m. on Dec. 14 in response to reports of gunshots.

Hundreds of people were gathering to celebrate the start of the Hanukkah Festival of Lights when the attack started.

In video footage posted on social media, two suspected gunmen can be seen opening fire on the crowd from a footbridge connecting Campbell Parade and the Bondi Pavilion, forcing many to sprint for cover.

In another video, a bystander can be seen sneaking up on one of the gunman, wrestling with him and then disarming him, aiming the rifle at the gunman who backs away to flee.

In response, it appears the good samaritan is also targeted when the other gunman on the bridge opens fire in his direction.

The police eventually managed to neutralise the two gunmen while officers performed CPR, and loaded the injured onto ambulances.

One of the suspected gunmen was later revealed to be Naveed Akram, a 24-year-old living in Sydney’s multicultural west.

Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon quickly designated the incident a terrorist attack.

“We know that there were many people there to celebrate a happy occasion—the celebration of Hanukkah. And there was well over 1,000 people there when this took place,” he said.

“As a result of the circumstances of the incident tonight, at 9:36 p.m. this evening, I declared this to be a terrorist incident.”

Explosive Devices Detected

While Lanyon said it was too early to draw a conclusion about the type of firearms used by the gunmen and their sources, the police commissioner said improvised explosive devices were detected near the shooting scene.

“Shortly after the shooting occurred, police located a vehicle in Campbell parade at Bondi, which we believe has several improvised explosive devices,” he said.

“We have our rescue bomb disposal unit there at the moment working on that.”

When asked about the latest update on the explosive devices, Lanyon said the investigation was still underway.

“At the moment. It’s too early to say that,” he said.

At the same time, Lanyon called on the community to remain calm as police continue their work. “When I asked for calm, that is really important. This is not a time for retribution,” he said.

“This is a time to allow the police to do their duty. So police are responding to make sure that all of the community is safe.”

Responses So Far

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he stood with the Jewish community and that there was no place for terrorist incidents in Australia.

“[The attack is] an act of evil, anti-Semitism, terrorism that has struck the heart of our nation,” he said.

“An attack on Jewish Australians is an attack on every Australian. There is no place for this hate, violence and terrorism in our nation. Let me be clear: we will eradicate it.”

Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong also extended her condolences to the families of those affected and thanked emergency services for their efforts.

“My deepest condolences are with those who have lost loved ones tonight. We hope for the full recovery of all injured and we stand in solidarity with the Australian Jewish community,” she said.

“Thank you to the emergency services and to the everyday Australians who showed courage in the face of such terror”.

Former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott praised the actions of the good samaritan.

“The events at Bondi Beach are an absolute atrocity. A horror for the victims and a massive escalation of the hatred directed at Australia’s Jewish community,” Abbott said.

“There should be no place in Australia for the kind of evil we’ve seen this evening. Thank God one bystander heroically intervened showing the good side of our country. I am praying for all those affected at this time.”

Meanwhile, co-chief executive of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, Alex Ryvchin, said the shooting was a worst-case scenario come true.

“It’s a family event, a beautiful event every year,” he told Sky News.

“If this is what we think it is, it is our worst fear realised … if we were targeted it’s something of a scale none of us could ever imagine.”

Full Inquiry to Commence: NSW Premier

Meanwhile, New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has pledged to conduct a full inquiry into the mass shooting.

“It’s reasonable that both the government and the police conduct an investigation, there will be, of course, a full inquiry,” he said.

“But when you’re looking at several hours after this horrifying event, it’s important that police focus on community safety right now and ensuring that the immediate vicinity is locked down, that the public, those who’ve been injured, are transported to hospital, and that there’s not an immediate ongoing threat.

“There’ll be plenty of times for a thorough investigation.”

By Alfred Bui

Read Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.
00:02:22

Young Washington: Movie Review

Sitting in the theater watching Young Washington, I found myself wondering why this story hadn’t been made into a film sooner.
00:02:08

A Movie That’ll Keep You Awake: A Great Awakening

So how does someone (me) who thinks they’ve just seen the greatest movie ever (A Great Awakening), persuade you to watch it?

Ring That Bell

If I could travel back in time to 1776,...

Thoughts On America 250

Before you, American reader, is the honor, blessing, and privilege of celebrating the 250th anniversary of our nation. A nation toward which God has been merciful, shining His great grace.
00:01:39

Citizen Vigilante Delivers the Warning Western Governments Desperately Need to Hear

Citizen Vigilante shows what happens when the state stops defending the native population and shields favored migrant groups while criminalizing native dissent.
00:02:45

Trump to Ease Ground Beef Import Quotas for 90 Days

President Trump will allow up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef to be imported with no out-of-quota tariff for 90 days to reduce beef prices for Americans.

US State Bill May Criminalize Prayers Outside Abortion Centers: Pro-Life Organization

New Jersey Gov. Mikie Sherrill signed legislation on Thursday that can potentially criminalize conducting prayers outside abortion centers.
00:02:14

8 Killed After Charter Plane Crashes in Western Alaska: US Military

The U.S. military said on Aug. 20 that eight people were killed when a charter plane crashed at a remote military radar site in western Alaska.

Trump Tells Michael Cohen ‘They Weaponized You’ in Radio Interview, Praises His Recanting

President Donald Trump appeared on Michael Cohen’s radio show and commended his former attorney for recanting his previous statements.
00:05:01

US Imposes 50 Percent Tariffs on Some Canadian Goods After Last-Minute Trade Talks Collapse

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said that new tariffs on Canadian imports will take effect as the two nations have failed to reach a trade deal.
00:20:06

First Lady Unveils Racing Collaboration, $2 Million in ‘Fostering the Future’ Scholarships 

First Lady Melania Trump at the White House announce $2 million in scholarships for foster youth, expanding her Fostering the Future initiative.
00:01:31

Trump Announces Pause on 50 Percent Tariff as US, Canada Reach Last-Minute Deal

President Trump announced he would delay an additional 50 percent tariff on certain Canadian goods following last-minute talks between the two countries.
00:01:47

Trump Says He’ll Declare the Hormuz Strait a US Territory ‘Pretty Soon’

President Trump announced his intention to declare the Strait of Hormuz a U.S. territory, introducing a new position regarding the vital waterway.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central