Brazil’s Telecom Regulator Warns Starlink Its License Could Be Revoked

Contact Your Elected Officials

The country’s regulator notified Starlink of potential sanctions, including possible license revocation, for refusing to block X.

Brazil’s telecommunications regulator Anatel warned Elon Musk’s Starlink of possible sanctions, including a revocation of the satellite internet provider’s operating license, if satellite internet provider refuses to block the X social media platform.

A spokesperson for Anatel told The Epoch Times in an emailed statement on Sept. 2 that Starlink had indicated its intention to refuse to comply with an order from the Supreme Court of Brazil to shut down X in the country.

The spokesperson added that Anatel had told all telecoms operators in Brazil that they must comply with the order to block access to X and that the regulator is in the process of verifying compliance with the requirement by more than 20,000 companies, including Starlink.

The regulator notified providers on Aug. 31 that they have five days to comply with the shutdown order, the spokesperson said, adding that possible sanctions for non-compliance including a warning, temporary suspension, or revocation of operating license.

The Anatel spokesperson added that Starlink had not formally communicated to Anatel its intention to buck the ban, declaring its intention to do so “informally” to Carlos Baigorri, who serves as president of the Anatel board of directors.

Meanwhile, another senior Anatel official, Artur Coimbra, told Reuters on Sept. 2 that Starlink is currently the only operator refusing to block access to X for Brazil’s 20 million or so users.

Starlink, which said on Aug. 29 that its assets had been frozen in Brazil, reportedly told Coimbra that it would not comply with the order to shut down X until the asset freeze is lifted.

A request for comment on the possible sanctions, sent to SpaceX, which operates Starlink, was not immediately returned.

The warning issued by the Brazilian telecoms regulator marks the latest salvo in a long-running dispute between Brazilian officials and X owner Elon Musk, who has refused to comply with court orders to block accounts accused by investigators of spreading hate and misinformation. Both Musk and X’s global government affairs team have denounced these orders as unlawful attempts at censorship.

By Tom Ozimek

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Exposed: Dem Dark Money Influencer Machine

After 2024 defeat, Democrats, launched Chorus Creator Program, paying influencers up to $8K/month to push party talking points as “independent media.”

Cherished Unalienable Rights

In the USA, the “rights” of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are written endowments, supposedly, held sacred, and secured and protected by govt.

ANOTHER Private Bill Gates-Trump Meeting in the White House — Why?

The notion that Bill Gates concerns himself with “protecting Americans’ health” is so delusional that anyone buying that is too far gone to be saved.

Here’s What the US’ Security Guarantees For Ukraine Might Look Like

Western security guarantees for Ukraine are one of the main issues delaying a political resolution to the conflict. Russia launched its SMO primarily in response to NATO-emanating threats from Ukraine.

The Cost of Anger

I will not write much here. There are no words I can say. I only wish to remember those forgotten casualties, the unseen cost of the current antagonism in America.

Transportation Secretary Terminates Wind Projects Worth $679 Million

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy withdrew or terminated 12 offshore wind projects across the country that are worth $679 million in funding.

Chicago Mayor Signs Order to Block Possible Troop Deployment

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson signs executive order for “immediate, drastic action” amid concerns over possible Trump admin military deployment.

Lawsuit Blames ChatGPT for California Teen’s Death

The parents of a California teenager who died by suicide have sued ChatGPT-maker OpenAI, alleging the AI chatbot played a direct role in their son’s death.

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trump’s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

Appeals Court Rules Most of Trump’s Tariffs Are Illegal

The judges let the import taxes stay in place...

Trump Signs Executive Order ‘Making Federal Architecture Beautiful Again’

Trump signed an EO to “[Make] Federal Architecture Beautiful Again,” prioritizing classical and traditional styles in new federal govt. buildings.

Trump Admin Moves to Cut $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid Funding

President Donald Trump on Aug. 28 moved to cancel $4.9 billion in appropriated funds for foreign aid spending.

Trump Admin Removes Secret Service Protection for Former VP Harris, Official Says

VP Harris' Secret Service protection was revoked. Former vice presidents generally get federal protection for six months after they leave office.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central