“We are suspending his accounts for two years, effective from the date of the initial suspension on January 7 this year,” Nick Clegg, vice president of global affairs for Facebook, said in a blog post.
Facebook’s Oversight Board, a quasi-independent entity that is empowered to overrule the technology giant, last month upheld Facebook’s suspension of Trump.
But it also said the California-based company inappropriately did not list a defined time period for which Trump was suspended.
“It is not permissible for Facebook to keep a user off the platform for an undefined period, with no criteria for when or whether the account will be restored,” the board said.
The announcement Friday is in response to the board’s decision, Clegg said.
“We are today announcing new enforcement protocols to be applied in exceptional cases such as this, and we are confirming the time-bound penalty consistent with those protocols which we are applying to Mr. Trump’s accounts. Given the gravity of the circumstances that led to Mr. Trump’s suspension, we believe his actions constituted a severe violation of our rules which merit the highest penalty available under the new enforcement protocols,” he said.
When two years elapses, Facebook plans to review with experts whether the “risk to public safety has receded.”
If the risk is still present, the suspension will be extended. If it is not, the company is setting in place “a strict set of rapidly escalating sanctions that will be triggered if Mr. Trump commits further violations in future, up to and including permanent removal of his pages and accounts,” Clegg added.
Trump said in a two-sentence statement that Facebook’s decision “is an insult to the record-setting 75M people, plus many others, who voted for us in the 2020 Rigged Presidential Election.”
“They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this censoring and silencing and ultimately we will win,” he added.