Judge warns DOJ that media interviews could taint Capitol riot case

5Mind. The Meme Platform

A federal judge lambasted the Justice Department on Tuesday, warning that top officials’ comments in recent media interviews threatened to taint the prosecution of some of the most notorious participants in the Jan. 6 Capitol breach.

In a hastily assembled video conference, District Court Judge Amit Mehta declared he was “surprised, to say the least” by a CBS “60 Minutes” interview with Michael Sherwin, who recently stepped aside as the lead prosecutor in the Capitol attack and as the acting U.S. attorney in Washington.

In the interview aired Sunday, Sherwin said he believed the facts gathered by investigators would support a charge of “seditious conspiracy” against some of the Capitol rioters — a grave, rarely used criminal charge reserved for attempts to overthrow the government or interfere with government activities.

Mehta also referenced a Monday evening article in The New York Times that described internal Justice Department deliberations about seditious conspiracy charges and indicated that top officials believed they were likeliest to be deployed in the case of the Oath Keepers, a militia group whose members descended on the capitol on Jan. 6 in an organized, premeditated manner. Ten Oath Keepers have been charged so far, with as many as five more expected to be added to the alleged conspiracy.

“These defendants are entitled to a fair trial, not one that is conducted in the media,” Mehta said as he opened the conference, which included senior supervisors in the U.S. Attorney’s office. “I will not tolerate continued publicity in the media.”

Read Full Article on Politico.com

Detailing the charges facing the Capitol rioters

Scott Pelley speaks with Michael Sherwin, the federal prosecutor who was leading the criminal investigation, the largest in U.S. history, into the assault on the Capitol.

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Thinking Conservative
The Thinking Conservativehttps://www.thethinkingconservative.com/
The goal of THE THINKING CONSERVATIVE is to help us educate ourselves on conservative topics of importance to our freedom and our pursuit of happiness. We do this by sharing conservative opinions on all kinds of subjects, from all types of people, and all kinds of media, in a way that will challenge our perceptions and help us to make educated choices.

CDC to Nuke Newborn Hepatitis B Vaccine Recommendation?

ACIP will consider the case against giving hepatitis B vaccines to newborns whose mothers are not infected, arguing the shots may be unnecessary.

Ukraine’s Anti-Corruption Investigation Is Turning Into A Rolling Coup

Russian Ambassador Rodion Miroshnik claims Yermak was dismissed to shield Zelensky as pressure mounts from an ongoing investigation.

An Unseen Tale of Marjorie Taylor Greene

The sudden resignation of Georgia Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has had journalists and political pundits pondering.

The highway’s hidden hazards

America’s highways, already a patchwork of potholes and billboards, face a deeper crisis in illegal drivers.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

What to Know About the ‘764’ Online Predator Network and the Federal Crackdown

DOJ officials are attempting to crack down on an online predator network known as “764,” as online exploitation of vulnerable groups increases.

Afghan Parolee Charged With Terroristic Threat

The case, in addition to a recent shooting of...

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central