Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Order Requiring Government to Fully Fund SNAP

5Mind. The Meme Platform

A federal district judge previously ordered full funding of the program, and a federal appeals court turned down the government’s request to stay that order.

The U.S. Supreme Court issued a late-night order Nov. 7 temporarily pausing a lower court’s order requiring the federal government to fully fund food stamps in November after a federal appeals court declined to do so.

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson issued an administrative stay, which gives a court more time to consider an urgent case. The case is Rollins v. Rhode Island State Council of Churches.

Jackson, who oversees urgent appeals related to cases from Rhode Island, said the government stated that “without intervention from this Court, they will have to ‘transfer an estimated $4 billion by tonight’ to fund SNAP benefits through November.”

The government’s emergency application came hours after a federal appeals court declined to issue an emergency stay pausing a judge’s order that required the federal government to fully fund food stamps through November.

The food stamps program is formally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit ruled earlier on Nov. 7 against the government’s request for an administrative stay.

However, the circuit court said the government’s motion for a stay during its appeal of the district court’s order “remains pending.”

“We intend to issue a decision on that motion as quickly as possible,” the order said.

In her new order, Jackson said the administrative stay was “required to facilitate the First Circuit’s expeditious resolution of the pending stay motion.”

The Supreme Court’s administrative stay will end 48 hours after the First Circuit rules on the government’s stay motion, which the circuit court “is expected to issue with dispatch.”

On Nov. 6, Judge John McConnell Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island directed the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to pay states the money by Nov. 7 for distribution to the nation’s roughly 42 million SNAP recipients.

“People have gone without for too long. Not making payments to them for even another day is simply unacceptable,” McConnell said.

USDA officials declined to fund SNAP amid the government shutdown, arguing that they could not use contingency money or revenue from tariffs for the program.

By Matthew Vadum

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

An Unseen Tale of Marjorie Taylor Greene

The sudden resignation of Georgia Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has had journalists and political pundits pondering.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Afghan Parolee Charged With Terroristic Threat

The case, in addition to a recent shooting of...

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central