Debates are tough for fact-checkers. The two candidates are throwing out soundbites left and right, and sadly, truth often suffers.
It takes a while to wade through everything a given candidate has said. So here are the five biggest whoppers Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) told during her Wednesday night 2020 debate with Vice President Mike Pence.
1. “The president said [coronavirus] was a hoax.”
2. “The truth and the fact is, Joe Biden has been very clear, he will not raise taxes on anybody who makes less than $400,000 a year.”
3. “We now know because of great investigative journalism that Donald Trump paid $750 in taxes.”
4. “The American people know that Joe Biden will not ban fracking. That is a fact. That is a fact.”
5. “In 1864 … Abraham Lincoln was up for re-election, and it was 27 days before the election. And a seat became open on the United States Supreme Court. Abraham Lincoln’s party was in charge not only of the White House but of the Senate. But Honest Abe said that it’s not the right thing to do.”
By Joseph Curl