Trump Adviser Steve Bannon Indicted for Contempt of Congress: DOJ

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

Former Trump administration adviser Steve Bannon was indicted Friday by a federal grand jury on two counts of contempt of Congress after he didn’t comply with a subpoena to appear in front of the House Jan. 6 panel.

Bannon, 67, was charged (pdf) with one contempt count involving his refusal to appear for a deposition and another that involved his refusal to hand over documents to the committee. Last month, the House select committee issued a subpoena before the House of Representatives, in a partisan vote, held him in contempt.

“Since my first day in office, I have promised Justice Department employees that together we would show the American people by word and deed that the department adheres to the rule of law, follows the facts and the law, and pursues equal justice under the law,” Attorney General Merrick B. Garland said in a news release issued by the Department of Justice. “Today’s charges reflect the department’s steadfast commitment to these principles.”

For each count of contempt of Congress, Bannon faces 30 days to one year in jail, as well as a fine of $100 to $1,000, according to the Justice Department’s press release.

According to the Congressional Research Service, it’s rare for prosecutors to charge someone with contempt of Congress, and it noted that a settlement is generally negotiated to avoid them. The last criminal contempt case was in 1983 when the Department of Justice indicted an Environmental Protection Agency official who was ultimately found not guilty during a trial.

Bannon’s lawyer, Robert Costello, told the House committee last month that he wouldn’t be cooperating because he had been told not to by former President Donald Trump. Arguing that “the executive privileges belong to President Trump,” Costello asserted that “we must accept [Trump’s] direction and honor his invocation of executive privilege.”

The Epoch Times has contacted Costello for comment.

President Joe Biden’s administration has declined to assert executive privilege relating to documents and witnesses related to the Jan. 6 incident. At one point, Biden added a complication by saying that the Department of Justice should prosecute Bannon and others, before acknowledging that he shouldn’t have said it.

Later, a Department of Justice spokesperson told media outlets on Oct. 15 that in reference to Biden’s comment, the agency “will make its own independent decisions in all prosecutions based solely on the facts and the law. Period. Full stop.”

So far, the committee has issued subpoenas to more than a dozen former Trump administration officials and associates—including former adviser Stephen Miller, ex-national security adviser Michael Flynn, and White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany—for testimony or documents. Among those who were issued subpoenas, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows confirmed on Thursday that he would refuse the subpoena and would not testify in front of the House panel.

Meadows is still “under the instructions of former President Trump to respect longstanding principles of executive privilege,” George Terwilliger, Meadows’s lawyer, said in a statement.

“Contrary to decades of consistent bipartisan opinions from the Justice Department that senior aides cannot be compelled by Congress to give testimony,” he added, “this is the first president to make no effort whatsoever to protect presidential communications from being the subject of compelled testimony.”

By Jack Phillips

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

“Despite” the Truth

Despite signals media skepticism—like “bless his heart”—subtly masking criticism of Trump’s policies and their real-world impact.

Project Anchor 8/12/2026 Gravity Stops for 7 Seconds

Viral story claims a shadowy “Project Anchor” government operation exists above top secret classification, fueling online speculation and intrigue.

Rubio’s Munich Speech Detailed Trump 2.0’s Envisaged New World Order

Sec. of State & Nat’l Security Adv., Marco Rubio, delivered a historic speech at the Munich Security Conference on Trump 2.0’s world order.

Federalism Isn’t a Relic — It’s America’s Political Shock Absorber

The resistance movement in Minneapolis is a glimpse of future conflict over the expansion of federal power, federalism, and the essential role of states.

Republican Voter Surge Shocks!

"Young and minority Americans, including Gen Z and Gen Alpha, are shifting from left to right, influenced by figures like Kirk, Presler, and Minaj."

Man Pleads Guilty to Assaulting Immigration Enforcement Officer During California Riot

California man pleads guilty to hurling concrete at occupied federal immigration vehicles during LA riots, injuring an officer.

Rev. Jesse Jackson Dies Aged 84

U.S. civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson has died aged 84, according to a Feb. 17 announcement by his family.

2 High-Profile Transgender Surgery Cases Head to Trial

Two high-profile detransitioner cases involving women surgically altered as teens are headed to trial in 2027, raising legal and medical questions nationwide.

New Research Suggests Cause of Rare Blood-Clotting Side Effect From COVID-19 Vaccine

New research published in The New England Journal of Medicine suggests the cause of a rare blood-clotting side effect came from the COVID-19 Vaccine.

Rubio’s Warm Munich Address Carries Stark Warning for Europe

The Munich Security Conference wrapped up, but Sec. of State Marco Rubio’s speech is still making waves in the United States and Europe.

DOGE Says It Helped Terminate Billions of Dollars in New Contracts

DOGE helped terminate hundreds of contracts in the past month or so, providing the first public update on its work in more than a month.

Trump Admin Unveils Maritime Action Plan to Revive US Shipbuilding

The Trump administration unveiled a comprehensive Maritime Action Plan on Feb. 13 meant to resurrect the U.S. shipbuilding sector.

Trump Says US Military ‘Best-Trained, Best-Equipped’ Under His Administration

President Donald Trump highlighted military successes and investments during a speech to soldiers in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central