Passed House (02/27/2021)
Sponsor: Rep. John A. Yarmuth, [D-KY-3] (Introduced 02/24/2021)
Latest Action: Senate – 03/06/2021 Passed Senate with an amendment by Yea-Nay Vote. 50 – 49.
American Rescue Plan Act of 2021
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021-2022 provides additional relief to address the continued impact of COVID-19 (i.e., coronavirus disease 2019) on the economy, public health, state and local governments, individuals, and businesses.
Only 9% of the $1.9 trillion is related to actual COVID-19 relief.
Specifically, the bill provides funding for
- agriculture and nutrition programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as the food stamp program);
- schools and institutions of higher education;
- child care and programs for older Americans and their families;
- COVID-19 vaccinations, testing, treatment, and prevention;
- mental health and substance-use disorder services;
- emergency rental assistance, homeowner assistance, and other housing programs;
- payments to state, local, tribal, and territorial governments for economic relief;
- multiemployer pension plans;
- small business assistance, including specific programs for restaurants and live venues;
- programs for health care workers, transportation workers, federal employees, veterans, and other targeted populations;
- international and humanitarian responses;
- tribal government services; and
- scientific research and development.
The bill also includes provisions that
- raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025;
- extend unemployment benefits and related services;
- provide a maximum recovery rebate of $1,400 per eligible individual;
- expand and otherwise modify certain tax credits, including the child tax credit and the earned income tax credit;
- provide premium assistance for certain health insurance coverage; and
- require coverage, without cost-sharing, of COVID-19 vaccines and treatment under Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
H.R.1319 – American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 PDFBILLS-117hr1319eh
(H. R. 1319, H.R. 1319, HR1319, hr 1319, hr1319)