Why would Chinese Communist Party Old Generals and U.S. Senior Retired Generals participate in an exchange organized by the Chinese Communist Party’s, China Association for International Friendly Contact (CAIFC)?
From October, 16th to 24th, 2009, the Chinese delegation of old generals organized by the China Association for International Friendly Contact (CAIFC) visited the United States to participate the second exchange activities of Sanya Initiative between Chinese and the U.S. Senior Retired Generals. The leader of the Delegation of the CAIFC was previous chief of the general staff of People’s Liberation Army Xiong Guangkai, the Secretary General was Vice Chairman of the CAIFC Li Xiaohua and the main members include previous commander of air force Yu Zhenwu, previous commander in Lanzhou military region Li Qianyuan and previous president of National Defense University Pei Huailiang and previous commander of East China Sea Fleet Zhao Guojun.
The delegation of the CAIFC was first led by Admiral Owens, the previous vice chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff in Honolulu Hawaii of the United States. The delegation of senior retired generals of the US army consisting of General of the Air Force Fugemann, previous chief of staff of the air force; General Rehmer, previous chief of staff of land force; general of marine corps Wilhelm, previous commander of the South Headquarter; and Admiral Joseph Prueher, previous commander of Pacific Headquarter held the exchange activities for three days. The senior generals of China and the United States had a frank and extensive discuss on furthering the relations between arms of China and the United States and exchanged their ideas on the issues of common interests. During the visit in Hawaii, the Admiral Marlon, chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff and governor of the Hawaii Ms. Linda Lingle entertained the delegation of the CAIFC delegation. Admiral Keating, commander of the Pacific Headquarter of the US army met with the staff of the delegation in the Smith, the military camp of Pacific Headquarters and exchanged with them. At the end of their visit in Hawaii, they headed toward and paid a visit to Washington and New York. U.S Secretary of State Hilary and Assistant Secretary Campbell met with and entertained the delegation in the State Council respectively. Executive Vice Minister of the U.S. Ministry of National Defense Lynn and General Cartwright, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff met with and entertained the delegation in the Ministry of National Defense respectively. The common chairman of the Larson congressman and Kirk Congressman of the “Chinese working group” of the U.S. Congress and its member Stanley congressman met with the delegation in the House of Parliament and discussed the key issues of the relations between the two countries. The “Intrepid” Air Carrier Museum in the New York, the United States held grand activity to show their welcome to the delegation.
During their visit, the delegation had formal talks with and exchanged with the senior U.S scholars from the key Think-Tank East-West Center and Center for Strategic and International Studies and introduced the situation of such issues as China’s national defense policy, National Day Parade, fighting against terrorism with joint efforts and marine convoy.
The Sino-U.S. exchanges between retired senior generals were held jointly by the CAIFC and the U.S. non-governmental agency organized by Admiral Owens, president of the U.S. AEA Funds (Asian) Company and the previous vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the US army. This exchange activity was fully sponsored by the agencies like China-United States Exchange Foundation, Center for Strategic and International Studies, the U.S. Starr Foundation and Temasek Holdings in Singapore and friendly personages.
- The first exchange activity between Chinese and the United States retired senior generals held in Sanya, Hainan, China in February, 2008.
- On October, 21st, 2009, the Secretary of State in the United States, Hilary Clinton, meeting with delegation in the presence chamber of the State Council
- On October, 16th, 2009, Admiral Keating in the U.S. Pacific Headquarters meeting with the delegation in Smith military camp
- On October, 19th, 2009, General Cartwright, the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff meeting with and entertaining the retired senior generals of China and the United States in the Ministry of National Defense
- On October, 19th, 2009, Admiral Marlon, the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff meeting with and having working breakfast with delegation in Hawaii
- On October, 21st, 2009, the retired senior delegations of China and the United States exchanging with Larson and Kirk Congressmen of China’s working team
- The U.S. Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Museum in New York holding activity to welcome the delegation
- Delegation from the two parties exchanging with each other in Hawaii
- The Chinese General Chamber of Commerce in Hawaii and local overseas Chinese holding reception for delegation
- The Chinese and the U.S. senior generals holding friendship activities
- The Chinese and the U.S. old generals holding formal discussions in the Kahala Hotel and Resort in Hawaii