Treasury Investigating Alleged Minnesota Fraud That Steered Money to Somali Terrorists

5Mind. The Meme Platform

Secretary Scott Bessent announced the investigation after Trump’s claims that Minnesota has been a money laundering hub.

The Treasury Department is investigating claims that Minnesota taxpayer funds were stolen by fraudulent nonprofits and rerouted to the Al-Shabaab terrorist group in Somalia, according to Secretary Scott Bessent on Dec. 1.

Bessent made the announcement on the social media platform X just days after President Donald Trump eliminated temporary deportation protections for Somalis living in Minnesota.

Trump, in his announcement on Nov. 21, also called Minnesota a “hub of fraudulent money laundering activity” and accused Democratic Gov. Tim Walz of failing to deter such crimes in the state.

Bessent said that “under the feckless mismanagement of the Biden administration and Gov. Tim Walz, hard-working Minnesotans’ tax dollars may have been diverted to the terrorist organization Al-Shabaab.”

The investigation comes amid concerns over welfare fraud in the state, especially relating to Somali communities.

Walz last week said he would work with the administration to root out fraud.

“Do not paint an entire group of people [Somali nationals] with that same brush—demonizing them, putting them at risk when there is no proof to do that,” the governor told local news outlet KTTC on Nov. 25. “But if you want to help us and you want to go after the criminals and make sure there’s no connection or find out where the money went, we welcome that. We’ll work with you on that.”

Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program was eliminated Oct. 31 as a result of “large-scale fraud,” the state Department of Human Services said. The closure came after revelations of several schemes that allegedly laundered millions from the state’s taxpayer-funded initiatives.

One such case saw a criminal network allegedly exploit housing assistance programs, in which funds were earmarked for vulnerable residents, including seniors. These operations, which have often been linked to Somali immigrant groups, have attracted federal attention due to their size and sophistication.

“This was a brazen scheme of staggering proportions,” then-U.S. Attorney Andrew M. Luger said in 2022 when the first 47 people were charged in a $250 million fraud scheme involving meal sites.

The individuals allegedly devised a scheme to defraud the Federal Child Nutrition Program, which was intended to ensure underserved children received adequate nutrition during the COVID-19 pandemic.

A separate fraud scandal involved millions in fabricated Medicaid claims submitted through a Minnesota-based provider. The Department of Justice detailed that alleged perpetrators overcharged for services they did not render.

By Kimberly Hayek

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Louisiana Voters Reject Cassidy and His Costly Healthcare Policies

On Saturday, incumbent U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy (R-LA) finished in a distant third place in the Louisiana Republican primary with only 24% of the vote.

The Illusion of Ceasefire

Western diplomacy often views ceasefires as steps toward peace. Hybrid terrorist movements often use them to regroup, recover, reorganize, and strengthen for future conflict.

The Only 3 Facts You Need on Israel & Palestine to Stay Sane When Everyone Has Lost the Plot

The Only 3 Facts You Need on Israel & Palestine to Stay Sane When Everyone Has Lost the Plot

Mr. CIA COVID ‘Whistleblower’ Goes to Washington

The real question: How could an active CIA agent “blow the whistle” on the agency he works for all of his own volition?

South Korea Will Remain A Key Part Of The US’ Chinese Containment Plans

Trump-Xi optimism dimmed after a quieter U.S.-South Korea defense meeting in Washington raised doubts about easing Sino-US tensions.

US Charges Former Cuban Leader Raúl Castro With Murder Over 1996 Killing of Americans

Raúl Castro, the former Cuban president, has been indicted on murder charges in the United States, court records unsealed on May 20 show.

Slain Guard of San Diego Mosque Hailed a Hero as FBI Reveals Shooters Were ‘Radicalized’ Online

Security guard Amin Abdullah sacrificed his life to stop shooters from getting inside the classrooms,’ the center’s director said of the slain security guard.

Could Deep Blue California Elect a Republican Governor?

Gov. Newsom suggests Democrats have a ‘break-the-glass’ contingency plan to prevent Democrats from being ’locked out' of the governor’s race.

LA County’s Mental Health, Addiction Programs Could Provide a National Model, Says Kennedy

HHS Secretary RFK Jr. praised LA County’s “impressive” response to its deeply intertwined mental health, addiction, and homelessness crisis.

Trump Details Military Complex Above and Below New White House Ballroom

Trump says planned White House ballroom will be the “safest building ever built,” serving ceremonial and national security purposes.

Senate Confirms 49 Trump Nominees, Including Key Energy Officials

The Senate has confirmed 49 nominees selected by President Trump, including officials tapped to oversee federal land management and energy policy.

Trump Heading to China for High-Stakes Summit With Xi

President Trump is set to depart Washington for China, where he will meet with Chinese leader Xi Jinping for a high-stakes summit.

Tech, Business Leaders Set to Accompany Trump on China Trip

President Trump is bringing a delegation of business executives when he travels to China for a summit with Chinese Communist Party leader Xi Jinping.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central